Master degree in Biotechnology from the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Master thesis: The Significance of Prostaglandin E2 on Dendritic Cell Biology and Effect of Differentially Stimulated Dendritic Cells on Polarized Caco2 Cell Gene Activity. Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark.
Project title: Can cross-talk between oral epithelial cells and gingival dendritic cells determine the outcome of immune responses against periodontal infection?
My research is focusing on the study of the thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP) expression in oral keratinocytes, and the potential effect of oral keratinocyte-derived mediators on dendritic cells and the result of the T helper cell response. TSLP is shown to be an important regulator of immune responses in various tissues, especially its role as a key initiator of T helper 2 responses.
Relevant techniques: Real time PCR, western blotting, flow cytometry, immunoprecipitation, ELISA and cell culture work.
- Bjerkan, Louise; Sonesson, Andreas & Schenck, Karl (2016). Multiple Functions of the New Cytokine-Based Antimicrobial Peptide Thymic Stromal Lymphopoietin (TSLP). Pharmaceuticals. ISSN 1424-8247. 9(3), s 1- 13 . doi: 10.3390/ph9030041 Show summary
- Bjerkan, Louise; Schreurs, Olav Joseph F; Engen, Stian André; Jahnsen, Frode Lars; Bækkevold, Espen Sønderaal; Blix, Inger Johanne S. & Schenck, Karl (2015). The short form of TSLP is constitutively translated in human keratinocytes and has characteristics of an antimicrobial peptide. Mucosal Immunology. ISSN 1935-3456. 8(1), s 49- 56 . doi: 10.1038/mi.2014.41 Show summary
- Huynh-Torlakovic, Hong; Bjerkan, Louise; Schenck, Karl & Blix, Inger Johanne S. (2012). Distribution of carcinoembryonic antigen-related cellular adhesion molecules in human gingiva. European Journal of Oral Sciences. ISSN 0909-8836. 120(5), s 395- 401 . doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0722.2012.00981.x Show summary
- Bjerkan, Louise; Visweswaran, Ganesh Ram; Braathen, Ranveig & Bogen, Bjarne (2016). Novel malaria vaccines by VaccibodyTM DNA immunization. Show summary
- Visweswaran, Ganesh Ram; Bjerkan, Louise; Braathen, Ranveig & Bogen, Bjarne (2016). DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICACIOUS TARGETED DNA VACCINES AGAINST MALARIA. Show summary
- Khnykin, Denis; Lin, M.; Bjerkan, Louise; Goto-Inoue, N; Uchida, V; Hausser, I; Setou, M; Miner, J.; Johansen, Finn & Jahnsen, Frode Lars (2013). Disturbed lipid metabolism in fetal skin predisposes for development of allergic disorders. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. ISSN 0022-202X. 133, s S116- S116