Dental treatment and quality of life in rare syndromes
Quality of life in oligodontia with or without ectodermal dysplasia
Oligodontia (congenital lack of six or more teeth, except wisdom teeth) is a frequent finding in different forms of ectodermal dyplasias (EDs).
EDs include pathological changes in ectodermal tissues like hair, skin, nails, and sweat glands. Permanent teeth may be missing or have a pointed shape, which can affect appearance and oral function.
The goal of the study is to examine how oligodontia/ED and related oral treatment affect oral and mental health and quality of life.
All patients with oligodonti/ED registered at the TAKO-Centre were invited to participate in a survey, and a selection was then requested to participate in an extended interview and clinical examination focusing on oral findings, treatment/management needs, and quality of life
Janicke Liaaen Jensen, professor, Faculty of Dentistry, UiO
Solfrid Saltnes, PhD student, Faculty of Dentistry, UiO
Amy Geirdal, professor, Oslo and Akershus College of applied sciences, Oslo
Hilde Nordgarden, Head of Department, TAKO-centre, Oslo
Rønnaug Sæves, consultant, TAKO-centre, Oslo
- Nordgarden H, Jensen JL, Storhaug K: Oligodontia is associated with extra-oral ectodermal symptoms and low whole salivary flow rates. Oral Dis 2001, 7, 226-232.
- Nordgarden H, Jensen JL, Storhaug K: Reported prevalence of congenitally missing teeth in two Norwegian counties. Community Dent Health 2002, 19, 258-261.
- Nordgarden H, Storhaug K, Lyngstadaas SP, Jensen JL: Salivary gland function in persons with ectodermal dysplasias. Eur J Oral Sci 2003, 111, 371-376.
- Nordgarden H, Mustonen T, Berner HS, Pispa J, Ilmonen M, Jensen JL, Storhaug K, Thesleff I, Lyngstadaas SP: Ectodysplasin-A1 promotes epithelial branching and duct formation in developing submandibular glands. Oral Biosci Med 2004, 3, 195-206.
- Geirdal AØ, Saltnes SS, Storhaug K, Åsten P, Nordgarden H, Jensen JL. Living with orofacial conditions: psychological distress and quality of life in adults affected with Treacher Collins syndrome, cherubism, or oligodontia/ectodermal dysplasia-a comparative study. Qual Life Res 2015,24,927-935. doi: 10.1007/s11136-014-0826-1. Epub 2014 Oct 25. Erratum in: Qual Life Res 2015, 24,1795.
- Saltnes SS, Jensen JL, Sæves R, Nordgarden H, Geirdal AØ. Associations between ectodermal dysplasia, psychological distress and quality of life in a group of adults with oligodontia, Acta Odontol Scand, 2017. DOI: 10.1080/00016357.2017.1357189
- Saltnes SS, Geirdal AØ, Sæves R, Jensen JL, Nordgarden H. Experiences of Daily Life and Oral Rehabilitation in Oligodontia - A Qualitative Study. Acta Odontol Scand, 2019;77(3):197-204.