Jonathan James Blaker
Blaker has an academic position at The University of Manchester since 2014. He established the Bio-Active Materials Group in 2014. Principle research areas are i) Bio-inspired hierarchical composite materials and ii) Advanced materials derived from synthetic biology, with an emphasis on medical and defence applications. Active lines of research include bioactive medical materials, mask-less digital photolithography for 3D printing/patterning surfaces, development of bio-inks for 3D printing/biofabrication, the exploitation surfaces and interfaces for materials production, processing of fibres, especially nanofibres via solution blow spinning including silks derived from synthetic biology, as well as shape-morphing composites. Blaker has a professor II position at the Department of Biomaterials since 2019.
Higher education and employment history
Blaker obtained his Ph.D. in Materials for bone tissue engineering from Imperial College London, UK in 2007; Prof. Aldo Boccaccini was the main supervisor. He received M.Sc. Composite Materials (Aeronautics, The Composite Centre) from the same institution in 2002.
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=sfzEp6oAAAAJ&hl=en
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1112-8619
- D. Tien, Nguyen; Lyngstadaas, Ståle Petter; Mano, Joao F.; Blaker, Jonathan James & Haugen, Håvard Jostein (2021). Recent Developments in Chitosan-Based Micro/Nanofibers for Sustainable Food Packaging, Smart Textiles, Cosmeceuticals, and Biomedical Applications. Molecules. ISSN 1420-3049. 26(2683), s 1- 24 . doi: 10.3390/molecules26092683 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Magaz, Andrew; Li, X; Gough, Julie e. & Blaker, Jonathan James (2021). Graphene oxide and electroactive reduced graphene oxide/silk composite fibrous scaffolds for engineering excitable nerve tissue. Materials Science and Engineering C: Materials for Biological Applications. ISSN 0928-4931. 119 . doi: 1016/j.msec.2020.111632
- Magaz, Adrian; Ashton, Mark; Hathout, Rania; Li, Xu; Hardy, John & Blaker, Jonny J. (2020). Electroresponsive silk-based biohybrid composites for electrochemically controlled growth factor delivery. Pharmaceutics. ISSN 1999-4923. 12(8), s 1- 12 . doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics12080742 Full text in Research Archive.
- Magaz, Andrew; Spencer, Ben F.; Hardy, John G.; Xu, Li; Gough, Julie e. & Blaker, Jonathan James (2020). Modulation of Neuronal Cell Affinity on PEDOT−PSS Nonwoven Silk Scaffolds for Neural Tissue Engineering. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. ISSN 2373-9878. . doi: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.0c01239 Show summary
- Rahmati, Maryam; Blaker, Jonathan James; Lyngstadaas, Ståle Petter; Mano, Joao F. & Haugen, Håvard Jostein (2020). Designing multigradient biomaterials for skin regeneration. Materials Today Advances. 5 . doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtadv.2019.100051 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary